Can I measure raw disk performance on linux?

Can I measure raw disk performance on linux?

Hitoshi Ueno
Hi all,
In my understanding, iometer does not matter the target
file is on raw disk or on file systems.   I want to measure
the performance of raw disk on a linux system.
I looked for /dev/raw divices in my linux system, but I could
not find them.
Do you have any ideas to measure raw I/O performance?
Thank you,
Hitoshi Ueno

Re: Can I measure raw disk performance on linux?

Ming Zhang
raw device is character device does not support seek. so i donot think
running iometer on it is a good idea.

ming

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 05:25 +0900, Hitoshi Ueno wrote:

> Hi all,
> In my understanding, iometer does not matter the target
> file is on raw disk or on file systems.   I want to measure
> the performance of raw disk on a linux system.
> I looked for /dev/raw divices in my linux system, but I could
> not find them.
> Do you have any ideas to measure raw I/O performance?
> Thank you,
> Hitoshi Ueno

RE: Can I measure raw disk performance on linux?

Coyne, Kate
Hitoshi,
 I wanted to do the same thing but I found that Linux always uses the
filesystem(unlike some other os's where you can easily write to raw,ie
bypass the filesystem). I believe there is some way to do this via
specific io calls(reads/writes) to raw io but I do not know linux that
well to know what they are! I looked online and saw some tools that
stated they did raw but I found them to be insufficient for the testing
I wanted(and some stated raw io but wasn't truly raw!). If you do find
any good tests please pass it on!
Thanks,
Kate

RE: Can I measure raw disk performance on linux?

Sanjay Acharya-3
Will testing on ram disk help to any extent? Its very easy to create a file
system on ram disk.

Sanjay