Quantcast

Checking in AIO fix for Linux dynamo

Jinpyo Kim

Hi,

A few months back, Aravind B. (from VMware) contacted whether we can contribute AIO fix for linux dynamo.

Iometer tool was widely used for many I/O tests at VMware or by our customers.

But existing released version and recent RC build had the same problems not  issuing multiple outstanding I/Os properly.

We have a fixed linux dynamo version (used for a while), but it would be better integrated in next release of Iometer.

I already created a patch from 2006 released version src tree.

Please let me how to check it in.

Thanks.

-JK

Re: Checking in AIO fix for Linux dynamo

Vedran Degoricija
Hi Jinpyo,

This is good news! I was not aware of your efforts. We have been needing this for a long time.

I suspect that today's Linux code has not changed much since 2006, but we'd need to check that is the case, or else you need to make a patch based on the latest code in SVN.

Also, would you pass your code changes to us in a tarball for review?

Thanks,
Ved

Re: Checking in AIO fix for Linux dynamo

Jinpyo Kim

Hi,

I created a patch from 2006 released build and also attached tarball for src tree.

We tested various test cases and didn’t see any performance difference with windows version.

Thanks.

-JK

dynamo-linux-aio-vmware.patch (23K) Download Attachment
linux-dynamo-src-092211.tgz (581K) Download Attachment

Re: Checking in AIO fix for Linux dynamo

Jinpyo Kim

It seems tarball is too big to attach for this email-list. I only attached patch file for 2006 released Linux version.

Thanks.

-JK

dynamo-linux-aio-vmware.patch (23K) Download Attachment

Re: Checking in AIO fix for Linux dynamo

Jinpyo Kim

Yes, there is little difference in Linux code in recent 1.1 RC build compared to 2006 version.

If you need a patch for recent RC build, I will send it too.

Thanks.

-JK

Re: Checking in AIO fix for Linux dynamo

Daniel Scheibli-2
Hi Jinpyo,

thanks for the patch! Aravind contacted me some months ago about
it, so its awesome to see it happen. If you can provide the path
against the recent RC that would be of great help so checking and
integrating becomes easier.

Thanks,
Daniel

PS: The mail with the attachment got hold up by the mailing list,
    but I approved it, so it should show up soon.

> Yes, there is little difference in Linux code in recent 1.1 RC
> build compared to 2006 version.
> If you need a patch for recent RC build, I will send it too.
>
> Thanks.
> -JK

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will create patch for recent RC build and send to this list by Monday.

Thanks.
-JK

thanks for the patch! Aravind contacted me some months ago about
it, so its awesome to see it happen. If you can provide the path
against the recent RC that would be of great help so checking and
integrating becomes easier.

Thanks,
Daniel

PS: The mail with the attachment got hold up by the mailing list,
    but I approved it, so it should show up soon.

> Yes, there is little difference in Linux code in recent 1.1 RC
> build compared to 2006 version.
> If you need a patch for recent RC build, I will send it too.
>
> Thanks.
> -JK

I quickly created  and attached a patch for 1.1 RC build.
It compiles OK, but not tested with 1.1 RC Iometer controller.
I will do it by next week.

Thanks.
-JK

dynamo-1.1rc-linux-aio-vmware.patch (24K) Download Attachment

Re: Checking in AIO fix for Linux dynamo

Jinpyo Kim
Hi Marty,

Thanks for updating test results.

I attached a new patch for 2006 version (rev2006) and v1.1.0-rc1.
This patch will fix the problem in prepare disk and CPU util update.

I usually tested linux dynamo on Linux dynamo VM running VMWare ESX.
I compared Iometer reported numbers and IOPS numbers from esxtop (ESX performance monitoring tool).
I didn't find such performance difference in my tests (local disk, FC SAN -- random/sequential mix)

But I suggest you turn off linux I/O scheduler (from CFQ to noop).
With CFQ I/O scheduler, I also observed a big difference between Iometer reported numbers and ESXTOP reported numbers.

Here is an instruction to turn off CFQ scheduler in Linux.

Here is instructions to turn off CFQ I/O scheduler.
To set the scheduler in Grub.
If we take noop as the target default scheduler for the system, the /boot/grub/menu.lst kernel entry would look like this:
title CentOS (2.6.18-128.4.1.el5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-128.4.1.el5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 elevator=noop
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-128.4.1.el5.img
Having the elevator entry in place, the system will set the I/O scheduler to the specified one on every boot.
In short, add "elevator=noop" in kernel boot parameter line in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
-JK