Copile IOMeter under Windows

Sascha Effert-2

Hello,

I would like to contribute some code to IOMeter. Now my problem is, that I never developed using Windows and Visual Studio. But I have some practice developing system near applications using C++ under Linux.

I installed MS Virtual Studio Premium 2012 and WinSDK for Windows 7 on a Windows Server 2012 running in a virtual machine. I downloaded trunk from SVN and opend the project in Visual Studio. I set in the project properties the following preprocessor definitions for win32:

IOMTR_OSFAMILY_WINDOWS;IOMTR_OS_WIN32;IOMTR_CPU_I386;WIN32;_DEBUG;_WINDOWS;%(PreprocessorDefinitions)

I also set for x64 the following definitions:

IOMTR_OSFAMILY_WINDOWS;IOMTR_OS_WIN64;x64;IOMTR_CPU_X86_64;_DEBUG;_WINDOWS;%(PreprocessorDefinitions)

I also removed src/iomtr_kstat/* from project, as I do not build for Linux at the moment.

At first I get tons of warningsstarting with

_WIN32_WINNT not defined. Defaulting to _WIN32_WINNT_MAXVER (see WinSDKVer.h)

Followed by warnings because strcpy, _snprintf and others may be unsafe.

Then it fails with:

src\res\Iometer.rc2(90): error RC2104: undefined keyword or key name: IOVER_FILETYPE

Here I struggle (again) and I do not know how to proceed. Google did not help me… Any idea?

Bests

Sascha

Re: Copile IOMeter under Windows

Vedran Degoricija
Sascha, There is an existing Visual Studio project file under msvc9 you should be able to open and convert.

Please let me know if you have any problems.

Regards,
Ved

Re: Copile IOMeter under Windows

Sascha Effert-2

Sorry, I was using the wrong sender address…

Bests

Sascha

Re: Copile IOMeter under Windows

Vedran Degoricija
Hi Sascha,

I am not clear on what problem you are encountering. The existing Visual Studio solution file (msvc9\iometer.sln) should work in newer Visual Studio environments without the changes you are referring to.

Ved

Sorry, I was using the wrong sender address…

Bests

Sascha

I opened the project. That was the start if my try to compile it. Then I had to add the preprocessor definitions and exclude the Linux specific kstat. Now I still have the problem with the resource file.

Bests

Sascha

Re: Copile IOMeter under Windows

Sascha Effert-3

Hello,

great, works now… By accident I used a self-generated project file before, because I did not find the right project file. I searched directly in iometer and in src, but I did not recognize the msvc9 directory… Thanks.

During update of the project VS told me, that VCWebServiceProxyGeneratorTool is no more supported. Seems that is was used by the dynamo project. I hope this will not end up in too serious problems… J

Bests

Sascha

I am not clear on what problem you are encountering. The existing Visual Studio solution file (msvc9\iometer.sln) should work in newer Visual Studio environments without the changes you are referring to.

Ved

Sorry, I was using the wrong sender address…

Bests

Sascha

I opened the project. That was the start if my try to compile it. Then I had to add the preprocessor definitions and exclude the Linux specific kstat. Now I still have the problem with the resource file.

Bests

Sascha

Re: Copile IOMeter under Windows

Vedran Degoricija
Sascha, I am glad you got it working. As far as the "VCWebServiceProxyGeneratorTool " issue, I think you'll be fine. Dynamo does/should not have any dependencies on it.

Ved