Dynamo for Linux kernel 2.6.x (i386)

Taylor, Perry
Dynamo for Linux kernel 2.6.x (i386)

Has anyone has luck running Dynamo on RH kernel 2.6.x?  For me it tries to connect to IOMeter but it never does.  Is there a newer source/bin available that will work around this issue, or does anyone know how to work around this issue?

Thanks,
Perry

Re: Dynamo for Linux kernel 2.6.x (i386)

Ming Zhang
On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 10:56 -0800, Taylor, Perry wrote:
> Has anyone has luck running Dynamo on RH kernel 2.6.x?  For me it
> tries to connect to IOMeter but it never does.  Is there a newer

u mean can not connect or can not measure?

>  source/bin available that will work around this issue, or does anyone
> know how to work around this issue?

then u need to tell us which version u are using.

> Thanks,
> Perry

ming

RE: Dynamo for Linux kernel 2.6.x (i386)

Coyne, Kate
Hello!
The problem may be that you must disable the firewall before the packets
can go in for the tcp connection! That is what it was for me!
Cheers,
Kate

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 10:56 -0800, Taylor, Perry wrote:
> Has anyone has luck running Dynamo on RH kernel 2.6.x?  For me it
> tries to connect to IOMeter but it never does.  Is there a newer

u mean can not connect or can not measure?

>  source/bin available that will work around this issue, or does anyone
> know how to work around this issue?

then u need to tell us which version u are using.

> Thanks,
> Perry

ming

RE: Dynamo for Linux kernel 2.6.x (i386)

Coyne, Kate
I would think there would be away to only allow a specific IP address to
be(trusted)..as you do in windows.  But I'm new to Linux and I'm not
certain how to do this(suppose possibly fooling with ip-tables?)..if
anyone does know please pass this info onto the group ..as anyone
running like this will need this info(instead of disabling the entire
firewall!:>)
Cheers,
Kate

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 10:56 -0800, Taylor, Perry wrote:
> Has anyone has luck running Dynamo on RH kernel 2.6.x?  For me it
> tries to connect to IOMeter but it never does.  Is there a newer

u mean can not connect or can not measure?

>  source/bin available that will work around this issue, or does anyone
> know how to work around this issue?

then u need to tell us which version u are using.

> Thanks,
> Perry

ming

Trouble with bursty IO

Sander Pool

All,

I need to throttle the IO to my targets to about 4000 IO/s. So I figured I
would use bursts. After some experimentation I came up with 380 IO bursts
with 78 ms delays. This seemed to work ok but now no matter what I do my Ios
are going way too fast. For example I'm currently running an access
specification like this:

'size % of size % reads % random delay burst align
reply
4096 100 70 0 200 380 0 0
'End access specifications

'Results
'Target Type Target Name Access Specification Name # Managers
# Workers # Disks IOps Read IOps Write IOps
ALL All 4K 21:9 throttled 1 1 1 15269.31477
10681.25676 4588.058006
MANAGER titanic 4K 21:9 throttled 1 1 15269.31477
10681.25676 4588.058006

I realize it's hard to read but it shows 70% reads, 200 ms burst delay and
380 Ios per burst. Then look at the results! 15K IO/s. How is this possible?
Even with infinitly fast storage I'd do at most 5 bursts per second for a
total of 1900 IO/s. In reality it will of course be lower.

Any ideas? This is Iometer 2004.7.30 on Solaris 9.

Thanks,

        Sander