Quantcast

Enhancements in IOmeter

Martin Werner // adagio

Hi,

as none of the project admin in IOmeter is reacting to messages via sourceforge I’d like to ask if this project has been abandoned meanwhile? As I’d like to add some functionality (and already have in my own development branches) I’d like to make them available to the public and as IOmeter official releases…

The primary area of enhancement I’d implement is the possibility to provide locality (or I/O skew) to allow to apply more representative random patterns (i.e. 80% of the I/O’s to 20% of the capacity and the like) – I’m sure that there is a lot more of interest for others so I’d have a look into the requests for enhancements and see what could be fulfilled too.

What’s your opinion about enhancements that you’d like to see?

Cheers, Martin

Re: Enhancements in IOmeter

Joe Eiler

That functionality is already achievable(or at least it was a decade
ago when I was doing a lot with IOmeter) by using multiple workers and
setting appropriate offsets and sizes. I would commonly setup runs to
imitate something like metadata log access to one area while doing
streaming access to the rest(my previous life involved lots of
realtime video editing use cases)

Open source projects are tough because interest and time resources
shift over time but I'm sure the current maintainers would welcome
some patches for improvements....or even if they don't make them in to
the mainline you could certainly post them for others to consume.

Good luck with your testing,
Joe

Quoting Martin Werner // adagio <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> as none of the project admin in IOmeter is reacting to messages via
> sourceforge I'd like to ask if this project has been abandoned
> meanwhile? As I'd like to add some functionality (and already have
> in my own development branches) I'd like to make them available to
> the public and as IOmeter official releases...
>
> The primary area of enhancement I'd implement is the possibility to
> provide locality (or I/O skew) to allow to apply more representative
> random patterns (i.e. 80% of the I/O's to 20% of the capacity and
> the like) - I'm sure that there is a lot more of interest for others
> so I'd have a look into the requests for enhancements and see what
> could be fulfilled too.
>
> What's your opinion about enhancements that you'd like to see?
>
> Cheers, Martin

Re: Enhancements in IOmeter

Allen, Wayne

Hi Martin,

I’m one of the active admins for the IOMeter project. I can assure you we haven’t abandoned the project. As Joe mentioned, since IOMeter is a second (or third, fourth, etc.) job for those of us working on it, our availability to do active work on it varies. We do have a bin list of features users have asked for. We typically don’t have time to implement these ourselves; however if code is contributed from folks like yourself, we are happy to review and get it on the mainline. As Joe also kindly pointed out, you can achieve the workload you mentioned by mixing access specifications. Let me know if you need assistance in setting that up.

Cheers,

Wayne