Headless Iometer

Gordon Bowring

Hello,

   I’ve tried searching via Google and various mailing lists but I have not been able to find an answer to my question “Is there a Headless version of Iometer available ?”.  By headless I mean one which does not require a Windows GUI interface to be displayed.

    This may seem like a strange request but the way I am using Iometer is not to measure I/O performance but to generate an I/O workload while I perform various tests on a storage subsystem.  The way I have been running Iometer, until recently, has been to copy the Iometer and Dynamo executables to a Windows Server machine and then to execute Iometer supplying both a configuration and a results file on the command line so that there is no need for user interaction on the Windows system.  When the Iometer test run is completed the results file is retrieved from the Windows Server machine and analyzed on a Linux system.

    I initially had a lot of problems getting this to work because the Iometer GUI insisted on accessing a screen to display it’s GUI interface.  I eventually managed to resolve this issue by using the Windows Sysinternals PsExec utility that allowed be to direct Iometer to use the primary console screen on the Windows Server for its GUI.  However, after migrating some of the Windows Servers I use to Windows Server 2012 R2 I can no longer get this to work, primarily because of security changes implemented in Windows Server 2012.

    It occurred to me that, in my situation, there was no real need for the Iometer GUI at all as it is never seen by the user and all the configuration and result information is maintained in files so I was wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar situation and created a headless version of Iometer that does not attempt to interact with a Windows screen at all.

    If anyone knows of such a version of Iometer, or a way to achieve the same effect on a Windows Server 2012 R2 system, that I was previously doing with PsExec, I would be very interested in hearing the details.  Many thanks,

      Gordon