How can I set over 32MB as transfer request size?

How can I set over 32MB as transfer request size?

akira.horie

Dear IOMeter user

I would like to write big data such as128MB to storage deveice by using IOmeter.

I tried to set 32MB as the transfer request size. But there were any write access to specified volume.

Less than 32MB could be functional as the transfer request size.

Could you teach me the way how to set over 32MB as transfer request size?

Best Regards,

Akira Horie

Re: How can I set over 32MB as transfer request size?

Vedran Degoricija
Hi Akira, I believe 32MB is the max request size supported on Windows. I have not tried it, but it should work. Can you tell me why you would want a 128MB request size?

Regards,
Ved

Re: How can I set over 32MB as transfer request size?

akira.horie

Hi Ved,

Thank you for your response.

I recognize that the request transfer size is limited by the amount of virtual memory space.

There is the description about the limitation of transfer request size in IOmeter User's Guide

(Version 2003.12.16) as bellow.

12.4 Transfer Request Size

The Transfer Request Size control group specifies the number of bytes read or written

in each I/O request, shown in the Size field in the access specification table (default 2K

bytes). You can select any value from 1 byte (0 MB + 0 KB + 1 byte) to almost 1

Gigabyte (1023 MB + 1023 KB + 1023 bytes), limited only by the amount of vitual

memory available.

Although above description, there might be some limitation caused by Windows.

I need big size data write performance test for our system.

If IOmeter does not support over 32MB, we will make our custom test program that

can write over 32MB data to storage.

Best Regards,

Akira Horie

Hi Akira, I believe 32MB is the max request size supported on Windows. I have not tried it, but it should work. Can you tell me why you would want a 128MB request size?

Regards,

Ved

Re: How can I set over 32MB as transfer request size?

Sascha Effert-3

Hello,

just to be sure we are talking about the same:

You want that each single write request is bigger than 32 MB? Or do you just want to use more than 32 MB on the storage? So, I think no application will try to make requests bigger than 32 MB, even if it uses much bigger files.

Bests

Sascha