IOMeter - FreeBSD

sureshnare

Hi,

I am planning to use IOMeter on FreeBSD,  my understanding is that the IOMeter does not support the FreeBSD as of now. Could you please let me know what are the changes required in the source code to make it compatible or any plug-in is already available.

It would be really helpful if you could share any documentation on the IOMeter on FreeBSD.

Thanks in advance,

N.Suresh

Re: IOMeter - FreeBSD

Carl Zwanzig-2

Dynamo, the io engine, should build on freebsd. Have you tried that? The GUI, iometer.exe, is windows only code and AFAICK will stay that way.. There are various instructions on-line of how to use a windows-based gui to operate a *nix-based dynamo. Search "iometer linux howto".

That said, I've had problems doing this at all using 1.1.x (windows gui, linux dynamo)- the results were mis-reported and there were several crashes. If you don't need the windows gui, you might try fio instead.

z!

Re: IOMeter - FreeBSD

Daniel Scheibli-2
Hi Suresh,

FreeBSD isn't supported yet, but given many UNIX like OS'es
(including OS X) are, the efforts should be reasonable. The
Developers Guide [1] some more information on what needs to
be done.

Cheers,
Daniel

[1]
http://iometer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/iometer/trunk/IOmeter/DEVGUIDE.txt?revision=140&view=markup

> Hi,
>
> I am planning to use IOMeter on FreeBSD,  my understanding is that
the IOMeter does not support the FreeBSD as of now. Could you please
let me
> know what are the changes required in the source code to make it
compatible
> or any plug-in is already available.
>
> It would be really helpful if you could share any documentation on
the IOMeter on FreeBSD.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> N.Suresh
Live Security Virtual Conference
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
> Discussions
> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in
malware
> threats.
> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/_______________________________________________
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/iometer-user

Re: IOMeter - FreeBSD

sureshnare
Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Please advice me which package i have to install on FreeBSD.

iometer-2006_07_27.linux.i386-bin.tgz or iometer-2008-06-22-rc2.src.gz and for windows i am planning to install iometer-1.1.0-rc1-win32.i386-bin.zip

Thanks,
N.Suresh
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Daniel Scheibli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Suresh,

FreeBSD isn't supported yet, but given many UNIX like OS'es
(including OS X) are, the efforts should be reasonable. The
Developers Guide [1] some more information on what needs to
be done.

Cheers,
Daniel

[1]
http://iometer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/iometer/trunk/IOmeter/DEVGUIDE.txt?revision=140&view=markup

> Hi,
>
> I am planning to use IOMeter on FreeBSD,  my understanding is that
the IOMeter does not support the FreeBSD as of now. Could you please
let me
> know what are the changes required in the source code to make it
compatible
> or any plug-in is already available.
>
> It would be really helpful if you could share any documentation on
the IOMeter on FreeBSD.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> N.Suresh
Live Security Virtual Conference
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
> Discussions
> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in
malware
> threats.
> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/_______________________________________________
Iometer-user
mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/iometer-user

Re: IOMeter - FreeBSD

Carl Zwanzig-2

Hello,

AFAICT, you will not find a “install this and it will magically work” package, you’re going to have to do some compiling, maybe make some code changes, and generally monkey around with things. If this is not possible, they you’re probably better off sticking with windows-only iometer or choosing a different test tool.

a) read all the online docs about running iometer on linux. Various people have put together web pages describing what to do.

b) download the source tarball, I use 1.1.0rc2 (or pull from the source repository), and compile dynamo on freebsd, should be fairly straightforward. Might have to tweek the makefile and maybe some code.

c) download the matching windows build and install on windows.

d) experiment. Let us know what works J.

You might have some success with the latest linux build (1.1.0.something) using FreeBSD’s linux emulation, but I  haven’t tried that and don’t expect to.

z!