IOmeter - W2K3 - physical disks - dynamic vs.basic

IOmeter - W2K3 - physical disks - dynamic vs.basic

Mike Jensen
I have created a RAID5 volume with W2K3.  This results in a "dynamic" disk vs. basic that are usually presented by storage devices via an adapter.  IOmeter permits use of basic disks but, in my experience, does not allow access to dynamic disks.  I would prefer to access this disk as a raw device vs. one with a file system installed (NTFS) and then placing the iobw.tst file in the top directory of that device.

Can IOmeter access raw "dynamic" disks ??
I have reviewed section 9 - disk tab reference in the user guide.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Re: IOmeter - W2K3 - physical disks - dynamic vs.basic

Vedran Degoricija
1. IOmeter does not distinguish between dynamic and basic volumes.
2. It will allow access to a raw disk as long as there are no valid partitions on it.

When you say you created a RAID5 volume with Win2k3, what exactly do you mean -- software RAID?

Regards,
Ved

Re: IOmeter - W2K3 - physical disks - dynamic vs.basic

Mike Jensen
Ved,

Yes - I presented 8 disks to the disk management utility and then constructed an 8 member RAID-5 software volume.

Its always been my experience that a "dynamic" disk would not show up in IOmeters disk list but a "basic" disk would.
Is there something (files, partitions,...) I can delete on a dynamic disk that would make it acceptable to IOmeter??

Regards,
Mike

Re: IOmeter - W2K3 - physical disks - dynamic vs.basic

Vedran Degoricija

You cannot access a soft-raided disk as a raw disk in Windows. This has never worked. You might access it as a raw, unformatted volume (different than a raw disk), but IOmeter does not support this.

Again, nothing to do with basic vs dynamic except that your soft raided disk happens to be dynamic.

Ved

Re: IOmeter - W2K3 - physical disks - dynamic vs.basic

Mike Jensen
ok - think I understand

Without really knowing the tests that IOmeter applies to the disk/volume - from your statement then - this volume should be accessible without a file system present or the ability to write an individual file like the iobw.tst file?  As an unformatted volume it should show up as a
"blue" box or "yellow" box item in IOmeter ? (section 9 of user guide)

Regards,
Mike

You cannot access a soft-raided disk as a raw disk in Windows. This has never worked. You might access it as a raw, unformatted volume (different than a raw disk), but IOmeter does not support this.

Again, nothing to do with basic vs dynamic except that your soft raided disk happens to be dynamic.

Ved

Re: IOmeter - W2K3 - physical disks - dynamic vs.basic

Vedran Degoricija
Let me rephrase...

In IOmeter, the only way you can see this disk is as a formatted volume. IOmeter does not support accessing of an unformatted volume as far as I know.

Becuase your disk is a software raid, it cannot be visible as a raw disk as a whole.

Good luck.

Ved

You cannot access a soft-raided disk as a raw disk in Windows. This has never worked. You might access it as a raw, unformatted volume (different than a raw disk), but IOmeter does not support this.

Again, nothing to do with basic vs dynamic except that your soft raided disk happens to be dynamic.

Ved

Re: IOmeter - W2K3 - physical disks - dynamic vs.basic

live_up2012
You must know the information that dynamic disk offer much features than the basic disk do.
Actually, we would like to convert basic disk to dynamic disk to experience its advantages. Nevertheless, we should know there still has many problem waiting to be solved—such as the dynamic get invalid or unreadable. However, convert dynamic disk back to basic disk can not realized by the Windows built-in disk management flawlessly. Fortunately, this series of problems can be achieved through third-party software, such as Dynamic Disk Converter.

Mike Jensen wrote