Quantcast

Strange throughput results with iSCSI disks on Windows 2003 x86_64

Strange throughput results with iSCSI disks on Windows 2003 x86_64

Valeriy Glushkov-2
Hi Guys,

I use the recent sources to build dynamo.exe for x86_64. But the same
problem is with i386 version running on the AMD64 system.

OS - Win2003 SP1 64-bit
MS iSCSI initiator v2.0 x64
iSCSI target: RDS StarWind 2.6.5 with RamDisk 16MB

In 32-bit Windows 2003 SP1 the same software shows about 118MB/s (for read
100% and write 100%) with 64KB requests and queue length 100 packets. For
R/W 50/50% it shows about 130MB/s.

But for my 64-bit tests I have results about 160-170 MB/s for the same
settings.
While dynamo.exe constantly reported in its console about 'performance
counters' greater than 1 and less than 0...

I suspect something is wrong with dynamo?
Or maybe I did something wrong with my test environment?

Any help is highly appreciated.

IOMeter is unusable with iSCSI disks on Windows 2003 SP1 x86 and x64 (AMD64)

Valeriy Glushkov-2
Hi Guys,

Nobody has answered my previous question. Am I the only one that is
experiencing problems with such configurations?

Recently I've tried the DS2 build on Win2003 SP1 x86 on AMD64 with an iSCSI
volume attached with the MS iSCSI initiator v2.0.
The test results are completely unusable.
IOmeter shows throughput over 160MB/s over my 1GbE link, while the PerfMon
reports the real disk throughput is about 70MB/s.
There is no error messages in the dynamo's console, but the IOMeter's
results say there is some bug inside it...

As I told in the previous letter, on Win2003 SP1 x64 dynamo reports many
errors in its console - it says the performance counter is less than zero
and in other error messages, that the performance counter is greater than 1.

On my Intel chipsets I've never seen any problems and I was sure that
IOmeter is the perfect tool for testing storage.
But it seems I was wrong?

What do you think about this problem?

Best regards,
Valeriy Glushkov

> I use the recent sources to build dynamo.exe for x86_64. But the same
> problem is with i386 version running on the AMD64 system.
>
> OS - Win2003 SP1 64-bit
> MS iSCSI initiator v2.0 x64
> iSCSI target: RDS StarWind 2.6.5 with RamDisk 16MB
>
> In 32-bit Windows 2003 SP1 the same software shows about 118MB/s (for read
> 100% and write 100%) with 64KB requests and queue length 100 packets. For
> R/W 50/50% it shows about 130MB/s.
>
> But for my 64-bit tests I have results about 160-170 MB/s for the same
> settings.
> While dynamo.exe constantly reported in its console about 'performance
> counters' greater than 1 and less than 0...
>
> I suspect something is wrong with dynamo?
> Or maybe I did something wrong with my test environment?
>
> Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: IOMeter is unusable with iSCSI disks on Windows 2003 SP1 x86 and x64 (AMD64)

Vedran Degoricija
Valeriy,

I cannot comment on iscsi performance, but there should be nothing inherently
different from an iscsi disk than a locally attached one from a perf metrics
point of view. Meaning, either there is some caching going on, a sw stack bug
or iometer is double counting something which typically happens with a network
test. So, I don't have a really good answer for you.

The performance counter errors are/should be harmless. I believe they are
ignored in the final stats, but I am not a 100%. If you stop the test and
restart it without adding workers, it should not happen for the duration of
that instance.

Also, there is no reason you should be using 100 queue-depth unless you have a
a lot of physical spindles.

Good luck.
Ved

--- Valeriy Glushkov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Nobody has answered my previous question. Am I the only one that is
> experiencing problems with such configurations?
>
> Recently I've tried the DS2 build on Win2003 SP1 x86 on AMD64 with an iSCSI
> volume attached with the MS iSCSI initiator v2.0.
> The test results are completely unusable.
> IOmeter shows throughput over 160MB/s over my 1GbE link, while the PerfMon
> reports the real disk throughput is about 70MB/s.
> There is no error messages in the dynamo's console, but the IOMeter's
> results say there is some bug inside it...
>
> As I told in the previous letter, on Win2003 SP1 x64 dynamo reports many
> errors in its console - it says the performance counter is less than zero
> and in other error messages, that the performance counter is greater than 1.
>
> On my Intel chipsets I've never seen any problems and I was sure that
> IOmeter is the perfect tool for testing storage.
> But it seems I was wrong?
>
> What do you think about this problem?
>
> Best regards,
> Valeriy Glushkov
>
> ïÔ: "Valeriy Glushkov" <[hidden email]>
> ëÏÍÕ: <[hidden email]>
> ïÔÐÒÁ×ÌÅÎÏ: 14 ÎÏÑÂÒÑ 2005 Ç. 16:23
> ôÅÍÁ: [Iometer-user] Strange throughput results with iSCSI disks on Windows
> 2003 x86_64
>

> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I use the recent sources to build dynamo.exe for x86_64. But the same
> > problem is with i386 version running on the AMD64 system.
> >
> > OS - Win2003 SP1 64-bit
> > MS iSCSI initiator v2.0 x64
> > iSCSI target: RDS StarWind 2.6.5 with RamDisk 16MB
> >
> > In 32-bit Windows 2003 SP1 the same software shows about 118MB/s (for read
> > 100% and write 100%) with 64KB requests and queue length 100 packets. For
> > R/W 50/50% it shows about 130MB/s.
> >
> > But for my 64-bit tests I have results about 160-170 MB/s for the same
> > settings.
> > While dynamo.exe constantly reported in its console about 'performance
> > counters' greater than 1 and less than 0...
> >
> > I suspect something is wrong with dynamo?
> > Or maybe I did something wrong with my test environment?
> >
> > Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: IOMeter is unusable with iSCSI disks on Windows 2003 SP1 x86 and x64 (AMD64)

Valeriy Glushkov-2
Ved,

Thank you for the answer.

I'll try run more tests on the AMD64 machine with local hard drives too and
let you know the results.

BTW I've recently seen a topic in a Windows kernel newsgroup about problems
with the Performance Counter on AMD64.
They told about some strange values returned by Performance Counter while
the next value happened to be less than the previous one...

Best regards,
Valeriy Glushkov

??: "Vedran Degoricija" <[hidden email]>
????: "Valeriy Glushkov" <[hidden email]>; <[hidden email]>
????: Re: [Iometer-user] IOMeter is unusable with iSCSI disks on Windows
2003 SP1 x86 and x64 (AMD64)