What's the difference between testing physical drive and iobw.tst

What's the difference between testing physical drive and iobw.tst

Quan-8
Hi all,
  I ran some tests on solid state disk, and got some results I couldn't explain.
OS : windows 7
Settings:
disk size: 0,   outstandings:32,  run time: 1min,
case 1: choose physical drive and run random write 4KB (means random 100%, write 100%,Transfer size 4KB)
         the IOPS is up to 5K
case 2:format the disk (ntfs),create a partition, choose the partition and run random write 4KB (really a long time to create  iobw.tst !!)
        the IOPS is only 2K

But to the sequential read/write 256K and random read 4K cases , the performance of disk partition is close to ,even better than that of physical drive.

Does it make sense? Could you please tell me the difference between testing a physical drive and the file "iobw.tst"?

Thank you.