iometer 1.1.0 on Windows Hyper-V Server 2012

iometer 1.1.0 on Windows Hyper-V Server 2012

Marty O'Brien
I have been trying to run iometer on several "Windows Hyper-V Server 2012" and "Windows Hyper-V Server 2012 R2" machines ("without the GUI", although it is really just stripped down), and, when running the .exe from the command line (either the 64bit or 32bit installed versions) it just returns to the command line with no error and no explanation. I don't see anything in Windows error logs, either. It is basically doing nothing that I can see.

I briefly looked through the code but it is quite a bit of programming and I thought it would be better to come here first and see if anyone can help. I've done quite a few hours worth of research on "the Google" and can't find anyone having similar issues, and even found a few articles that suggest using iometer on this type of setup.

The machines are relatively stock, save a few group policy settings and Zabbix monitoring agent.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this, or is it "simply won't run" on a "Core Edition" based Windows distribution?

My next option would probably be to try a linux live-cd, but that would be very inconvenient as I cannot afford the downtime on any of these servers.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice!!

Marty O'Brien
IT Director
Midwest Petroleum

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

Re: iometer 1.1.0 on Windows Hyper-V Server 2012

Katsumata, Kun
Hi Marty

I ran into a similar problem in the past, the best I could do is just run the Dynamo on the Windows Core server and manage it from another Windows server or PC with a GUI.
Based on my experience the IOmeter manager can be scripted using the batch option but it fails if it cannot find the GUI console.

Kun Katsumata

[...]

Dive into the World of Parallel Programming. The Go Parallel Website, sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/